A large gravestone at Borgue Churchyard (188) records the family of Alexander Brown of Ingleston and later of Carleton. At least two of his sons went to Australia, John and Samuel. The Queenslander newspaper of Saturday 5 October 1907 carried Samuel's obituary:-

Samuel Brown, Ingleston Borgue and Queensland, Australia.

Mr. Samuel Brown, who died at Clayfield on September 14, was formerly the owner of Coomrith, Conmaroo, Cooroova, Tartha, and Ingleston stations. He was the youngest son of the late Mr. Alexander Brown, of Ingleston, Borgue, Scotland, where he was born in 1828, and was educated at the Borgue Academy. He arrived in Melbourne in 1849, and went to his brother, Mr. John Brown, who owned stations in the Geelong district. After gaining "colonial experience" for a few months there he proceeded to Queensland with his brother-in-law, the late Mr. John Beck, who had been managing a station for Mr. Benjamin Boyd near Bathurst. They both landed in Moreton Bay in January, 1850, and went up to Canal Creek, near Warwick, taking up country and stocking it with sheep. The firm of Beck and Brown was founded, and lasted till 1862. In 1852 Beck and Brown took up over 1000 square miles of country on the Moonie River, Darling Downs district. This was isolated country, with no neighbours nearer than 100 miles. Mr. Brown did not fear the native blacks, but treated them kindly as human beings, and after a time he was able to get the blacks to do shepherding. Men were hard to get in those days, and later on Beck and Brown brought a number of immigrants to Queensland, paying their passage. Most of these men turned out to be splendid employees, and remained for many years with the squatters. In 1860 Beck and Brown sold one of their stations, Tartha, to Dr. Nelson, father of the late Sir Hugh Nelson. In 1862Beck and Brown dissolved partnership, Mr. Brown taking Coomrith station and about 40,000 sheep. He sold this place to the late Hon. Wm. Graham in 1873, and stocked his other station, Cooroora, with sheep. In 1875 he lost 11,000 sheep in three days from the effects of drought, followed by cold rain. In the great drought of 1885-6 he lost practically all his sheep, and the greater part of his cash in trying to keep things going. However, he had plenty of pluck and determination, and had immense faith in the prospects of the country. He started to restock his last station, Ingleston, and was just beginning to make headway once more when misfortune again overtook him, this time by the failure of a big institution, in which he was greatly interested. The failure was so complete that he had to make his exit from grassing life. Later on he entered the service of the Queensland Lands Department, from which he was retired a few years ago on account of having reached the age limit. The career of the late Mr. Brown was characterised by the strictest integrity and honourable dealing. He was genial and large-hearted, and left a stainless record behind him. He leaves a widow and five sons.